Sunday, November 16, 2008

Radiation Helping

Graham is feeling very mellow and comfortable for the most part. Just about the only time when he has pain is when he needs to be moved from his bed to have radiation treatment. Getting moved onto the table and in various positions - ouch! It really hurts his spine where he has the tumors and compressions. He has two areas on his spine where the cancer tumors are compressing it, one that affects his legs and the other that could affect his arms. Oddly, the much bigger compression is on the part that controls the arms, but so far, he still has good use of his arms. And hopefully with the radiation treatment, he always will.

Yesterday, they told us to make sure Graham had extra painkillers an hour before his radiation appointment. We gave him 50% more. But it wasn't enough. And because it was Sunday, and they opened the department just for him (thank you Dr. K and Dr J!!) as an emergency treatment, there were none of the usual nurses or drugs available there. But then I realized, YAY, I have liquid fast-acting morphine in my purse for him! As I reached for it, I then realized, aaaarrrghhhhhhhh, it was actually still in the hospital room - out of the cancer center, across the courtyard, into the next hospital building, down several long hallways. Well, you can imagine how bad I felt for not thinking to bring my purse with me. Oy!!!

So off I zoomed, regretting what a slow runner I am and pledging to get back in shape as each hallway loomed longer and longer. I finally got back after what seemed like an hour, but was probably only 10 minutes. Thankfully though, his pain had subsided after a few minutes and he was doing fine and didn't need any further pain medication. Needless to say, we're going to give him the mother of all painkillers tomorrow AND I will absolutely positively have the liquid morphine with me.

The doctors hope that after about a week of radiation, we may see improvement in Graham's ability to lift his legs. They're hopeful that the paralysis can be reversed in some measure because he's able to wiggle his toes and lift his legs a tiny bit, which he couldn't do when he was first brought in. Also, he feels less numb in his thighs.

Graham is staying in a fabulous private room because they expect the radiation to drop his white cell count. He has a really exquisite view of one of Stanford Hospital's finest gardens. And he has a special bed that can be adjusted infinitely and is super comfortable. His nurses have all been cheerful and competent, and it is soooo great having plenty of staff around when he wants to change position or get out of bed. Because he's still in pretty good shape, he's a heavy guy, so it takes two people to even just move him up a bit in the bed. And when I say two people, I mean two strong people. When Gary (Graham's brother) and I tried to lift Graham up by ourselves, it was a disaster. Gary was plenty strong, but I just couldn't keep up.

As usual, Graham is in good spirits and has a ready smile, and even when he's floating a bit with pain meds, he still makes sure to chat with all the helpers.

Gary has been a constant support, staying with us at the house giving invaluable help, and now that Graham is in the hospital, he visits every day, bringing cheer and humor into the room.

Ellen, Rick and Zack came to visit today, which is always a pleasure. For those of you who have wondered about visiting, the afternoons or evenings are best. Right now he's in Room E42. Just give us a call first to make sure he's not napping or something. The phone number for his room is 650-498-3035.

I have a comfy cot beside Graham, and since our wonderful neighbor Pam is taking care of Micki, I don't need to go home. So to all of the sweet people who have offered to bring us delicious dinners, we won't need any food while we're at the hospital, which I think will be for several more days.

THANKS for all your great emails, cards and calls.

No comments: