Monday, December 22, 2008

Graham Died Today; Funeral Details

My sweet sweet husband died today around 3pm. He had a very peaceful day, pain-free, and he was surrounded by family stroking him. We had read some psalms to him a few minutes before.
I whispered in his ear how much I loved him. And about a minute afterward I noticed that he had stopped breathing.

I feel so lucky that I had 20 years with the nicest guy in the world.

Eventually I will be moving back to Missouri, so I want to bury Graham in a cemetery near our house there. Before he was even sick he told me about a beautiful cemetery that he often passed on his bikerides around the area. So I thought it would be fitting to bury him there, in a place that he associated with the bikerides he loved so much.

I'll be flying out to St. Louis (wish me luck getting a reservation!) and the funeral will be on Friday morning, at 11am. We'll have a graveside service conducted by Rabbi Fasman, who Graham admired as a wonderful teacher and role model for kindness.

When I get back to CA, there will be shiva services (a brief service with prayers/readings) at our house to which y'all (family, friends, neighbors, work pals) are invited. At the end, we'll open it up for anyone who wants to share a story or their feelings about Graham. Stay tuned for details, but my guess is that it would be from 7pm - 8pm.

I'm dreading going home to my empty house.

Thanks again for making "Graham's Adventures in Cancerland" a journey filled with love and sweetness.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Baruch Dayan Emet

Graham was the focal point of so much love and so many prayers

Kevin and Ruth

Leeds

bernard said...

My Dear Lee----We have all lost a wonderful man! We must give thanks for having known him. His suffering is over and now he is at peace, and I'm sure watching over us.
His spirit will live on, and give you the strength to go on.
My Father's Mother also died a few months before my Father. I believe there is a reason for these coincidences. I believe these Mother's pass on first to greet their sons when they arrive. I think God had a higher calling for Graham. As hard as this is Lee, 20 years with a man like Graham, is worth more than 50 years with an ordinary man.
I don't think anyone whom Graham ever touched will forget him, and his spirit will live on in all of us.
May God Rest & Bless his soul. We love you Lee---Bernard & Joni