Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Out of the Hospital!!! Screamers & Clueless Clerks

OMG, that was a long stay at Stanford. A whole week! But this evening, Graham finally got sprung. The neupogen shots reversed the neutropenia and the Cipro and other antibiotics have mostly got the infections under control. Just as he was leaving the hospital, he got chills, but at that moment he didn't have a fever, so they let him go. Back at Manor Care they checked his temp and he's up to 101. They've got the IV antibiotics going, which is what Stanford would have done, so I think it's fine if he stays out of the hospital.

We had a "screamer" in the room next to us, a patient who was so out of it, that every few hours, she would launch a startlingly loud tirade against the nurses trying to help her. We feel compassion for her, but nonetheless, it's GREAT to have some miles between us!

Because Graham isn't totally over the infections yet, Dr. A. has postponed chemo for at least a week.

He didn't get much physical therapy in the hospital, so he may have to just about start over with that here.

Did I tell y'all about my experience with applying for long term disability from the Social Security Administration for Graham? Oy. I went for the interview and the clerk never asked what his prognosis was or how the cancer affects his ability to work. All she asked were irrelevant questions like "how long does he stand each day at work?", or "how do the medications he is taking affect his ability to work?" I waited patiently for a question that would get to the heart of his disability, like "why can't he work?" (cancer in the brain diminishing his ability to think clearly...needing to sleep 16 hours a day...), but nope, it never came. I told myself to be patient and just provide the vital info at the end, but I'm embarrassed to say that I was so tired by the end of all the inane questions, that I had sort of gone into a daze and completely forgot to say, "Excuse me, but you never asked about the CANCER!!!!" Luckily I needed to provide them with one more document the following day, which allowed me to insert a short note with the vital info. We'll see what happens. If they actually read the medical documentation they requested, it will be obvious to them. But the person helping me didn't seem remotely interested in it. I'm not even sure she understood that non-Hodgkins lymphoma is cancer. And she also got really annoyed when she heard how high Graham's salary was, as if it offended her in some way. What's up with that??

THANKS: Thanks Kayla S (daughter of Joni and Bernard from FL) for the beautiful artwork you made for Graham. Graham put it up on the wall right beside his bed so he can see it every day.

We've gotten a number of wonderful cards and notes from Genentech folks. Your thoughtfulness is much appreciated!

No comments: